N.I.O.S.A. (thought/observation)

Ever have that feeling while being out of town that you need to go home? I've had flucuations of that for the past year and a half or so. Friday night I decided to do something about it...and drove 3 hours on a whim to San Antonio, TX.

The drive down was not bad at all, had it linked up that I would stay with a friend and her commonlaw husband (thats how they roll in SA, hardly anyone there is ACTUALLY married lol). After a little difference of opinion on where to go upon my late arrival and two failed entertainment attempts we finally end up at Wiseguys bar. Had a great time for the hr I was there, and then it made me realize where/how my deeply rooted rock music passion came from. It courses through SA-tonians viens as the very blood that keeps them alive. That was such a forgotten feeling to be around people that appreciate what you appreciate and to such degree. I love it even though wasn't too keen on the long haired grungy looking guys who's attention I apparently caught.

But what cut me like a double edged sword was the fact that with all the love and adoration I have for this city, it has a way of keeping your outlook small, concise, and simple; not out of ignorance but out of comfortability. From the oak tree lined roads to the manicured lanscaping of the suburban developments, SA has earned the phrase, "big city with a small town feel"

San Antonio has a way of nestling you in, and making you feel safe. Majority of the people I met from school or some form of social networking ended up commonlaw 'marrying' their boyfriend or girlfriend and popping out the 2.5 kids. Mediocre job, mediocre house, mediocre life. For some it's great and would not ask for more...but for me I would never pursue what I want.

With everyone who knows me knowing how much I dislike houston, it has definately helped to bring me up to speed. Fashion, shoes, entertainment, cuisine, and meeting someone in my life that has been so influential in helping me to solidify myself, that went I stepped back into SA. I almost felt like I stepped back in time a bit; like literally stepping back into my past. Although it was nice only having to drive 10-15 min and i'm on a different side of town lol.

It made me realize that whether I want to admit it or not. Houston did me well, still think the people have kind of a effed up and/or simple mindset, but it seems to be more due to ignorance because of how much faster paced Houston is. San Antonio is simple out of just sheer innocence and for the sake of being simple. I think being in Houston will definately help me for preparation of my move to Baltimore. I would have never thought i'd hear myself say that i can not see myself ending up there.

Great to raise a family, and a moderate pace of life attracts a certain personality. The residents grow up together, go to school together, and just become life long friends because of it. Very beautiful to see, but my ambition can not be contained within city limits.

At the end of it all, I would not change anything about how that city functions. I still am and will always revel in the comfort I hahd become accustomed to while living there. Great local food, great music, and just a warm and fuzzy I would trade for the world. But I can't tell you that I would be ready to come back to settle down here one year from now, ten years from now, or never. Time will tell...

Comments

Popular Posts